The third Annual Audrain Newport Concours and Motor Week is coming to Newport September 29 through October 2, 2022. While Newport is well-known as a sailing capital, it has also made its mark on the racing world. The Newport State Airport sits on land that once housed the first sanctioned oval-track race in the country. William Kissam Vanderbilt was known to participate in races there at the end of the 19th century. Concours and Motor Week celebrates the history and future of luxury and sport vehicles.
Event highlights include:
- Members Only Day: Members of the Audrain Museum and Audrain Motorsport are invited to early access to the Village. Pick up credentials, enjoy a drink, and attend a seminar hosted by Jay Leno and Daniel Osborne. (Wednesday, 4pm-6pm)
- Seminars: 11 one-hour seminars will be hosted throughout the week starting on Thursday morning. Learn about new and young names in the car collector world, electric vehicle design, cars of the silver screen, and more.
- Wine By the Water: Kick off Motor Week at 41 North with hand-selected wine samples and food pairings. (Thursday, 3pm-6pm)
- Hilltop Hangout: Wind down your day with Newport craft cocktails and a cigar at the Hilltop Inn. (Thursday or Friday, 4pm-7pm)
- Audrain Concours Auction: This is your chance to own an historic or sporty car. A highlight of this year’s auction is a 1929 Packard Model 645 Deluxe Eight Roadster. (Friday, 4pm)
- The Gathering: When something is simply called The Gathering you know it is the place to be. Rough Point Museum becomes the place to see cars, chat with car enthusiasts and celebrities like Jay Leno, and sip on some tasty beverages. (Saturday, 11am-5pm)
- Audrain Automobile Museum Annual Gala: The 6th annual fundraising event will feature comedy by Jay Leno and a night of dancing. Don’t miss the Audrain Fever Disco Gala at the International Tennis Hall of Fame. (Saturday, 6:30pm-12am)
- Coffee at the Concours: Watch the cars take their places as they get ready to compete in the Best of Show. It is an early morning but coffee and light refreshments are available. (Sunday 6:30am-8:30am)
- Yoga at the Concours: Start your final day of Motor Week with an awakening yoga session that will clear your mind before you marvel over the cars at the Concours. (Sunday, 7:30am-8:30am)
- Concours d’Elegance: The pinnacle of Concours and Motor Week is the showcase of over 100 cars. The automobiles represent multiple decades and various classes. The grand event is held on the grounds of The Breakers, a summer mansion built by the Vanderbilts. The winner of Best in Show receives a trophy with a Mercedes riding on a wave. The vehicle is fashioned Willie K. Vanderbilt’s “Red Devil.” (Sunday, 6:30am-3:30pm, general admission may access the field at 8:30am)
Will the Audrain Automobile Museum be Open During the Event?
Yes. One-day and week-long museum bundle passes are available to event attendees. The museum boasts a collection of more than 350 cars and motorcycles. Three to four thematic exhibits of 15-20 cars are displayed each year so each visit has something new.
The passes will also provide access to the International Tennis Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame houses more than 25,000 artifacts and displays nearly 2,000 items at a time. The Museum is split into three sections that highlight different eras in the history of tennis: The Birth of Tennis (1874-1918), The Popular Game (1918-1968), and The Open Era (1968-today).
Do I Have to Purchase Tickets to Attend the Events?
Yes and no. Most of the events require individual tickets or an All-Inclusive Pass. Cars & Coffee is free and open to the public. It is also the most heavily attended event during the week. Previous years have brought nearly 5,000 people to Fort Adams State Park for the festivities.
Everyone can see the cars in action during the Tour d’Elegance. All of the participating cars are invited on this scenic drive on Saturday morning. It is a truly spectacular parade for all car enthusiasts.
The Audrain Newport Concours and Motor Week is also looking for volunteers to help at the event. Fill out an application and get close to the action while making sure everything runs smoothly.
Is the Event Held at One Location?
No. Events are held at many venues in Newport including historic mansions, the Audrain Automobile Museum, the International Tennis Hall of Fame, the Newport Pell Bridge, and the Redwood Library and Atheneum. The whole city gets involved when the cars take a scenic drive through town during the Tour d’Elegance.